Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Community

Blood Drive: September 3

Grace Church will host a Red Cross blood drive on Thursday, September 3, from 2 to 7pm.

To make an appointment, go HERE, or call 800-733-2767.

As a “thank you,” those donating blood will be given a $5 Amazon gift card.

Charles A. Sayre, revered pastor, dies at age 100

The Reverend Dr. Charles A. Sayre, the senior pastor at Haddonfield United Methodist Church from 1965 to 1990, died peacefully at home on Monday, August 10, 2020. He was 100.

He was revered not just by the church’s congregation but also by thousands of residents of Camden, where he planted and nurtured numerous seeds, and by fellow members of the Rotary Club of Haddonfield, of which he had been a devoted member for 55 years.

In a note to members of the congregation on August 11, The Reverend Chris Heckert wrote:

“It is with a sense of profound loss that I share that Rev. Dr. Charles Sayre passed away of natural causes, surrounded by his family, and entered into God’s eternal rest yesterday, August 10th. Rev. Dr. Sayre served as the Sr. Pastor for 25 years, from 1965-1990. In that time he had a massive impact for the witness of Jesus Christ in our church, community and greater world, in helping people to live into the kingdom of God, on earth, as it is in heaven. Under his leadership, HUMC grew exponentially, and expanded its mission and ministry into Camden with the founding of Respond, Inc. Beyond the local church, he was a leader in the United Methodist Church worldwide, as he was elected to the Methodist World Council, and served as the lead clergy delegate to the General Conference for 8 quadrennia. Upon his retirement he remained an active resident of Haddonfield as an influential friend, leader, Rotarian, and mentor to countless people. On April 19th, 2020, he celebrated his 100th birthday, remarking how blessed and happy he was to be surrounded by loving friends and family via Zoom.

“Although we grieve his loss, may we share the profound gratitude that Dr. Sayre held in his heart. During both of my visits with him this past week, he reiterated how thankful he was for his life, for his loving family, and for this church community. Just this past Sunday he listened to our worship service online and shared with me afterward that he believed that serving Haddonfield UMC is the best job in Methodism. For each life that has been touched, inspired, blessed and enriched by the ministry and witness of Rev. Dr. Charles Sayre, we now carry his mission of leading others to follow Jesus Christ within our hearts and our lives.

“During this time I ask that you keep his daughters Jill, Judy, and their entire family in your prayers. A graveside service will be private for family only, but we will share plans for public celebration of his life at a later date as they develop. Gifts in his memory may be sent to the church with “In memory of Charles Sayre” in the memo line, or an accompanying note. Gifts made in his memory will benefit the Lucile B. Sayre Meditation Garden across from the church.

“One of Dr. Sayre’s favorite hymns of faith was “It is Well with my Soul,” which offers these words of comfort:

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

“Because a life lived for others has now transitioned into God’s eternal, loving embrace, may we find God’s comfort and peace. Because of Dr. Sayre’s leadership, loving heart and friendship to many, may we say now, ‘it is well with my soul.'”

Gracie’s owner passes, after fall at home

Anthony J. Maniscalco, the owner with his wife Nancy of Gracie’s Water Ice & Ice Cream, located in Kings Court, Haddonfield, died on Thursday, August 6, 2020. A GoFundMe appeal to benefit his family stated that he was on life-support, after having fallen down stairs at home.

A resident of Runnemede, formerly of South Philadelphia, Anthony Maniscalco was 66.

He is survived by his wife Nancy (nee Porrini), sons Anthony and Nick, and daughter Michelle; and by grandchildren Nicholas, Jaden, Jaxx, and Gia Maria; also by his sister Rita Falcone (John), nephew John Falcone, Jr, and niece Denise Benatti (Jimmy).

A viewing will be held at Gardner Funeral Home, 126 S. Black Horse Pike, Runnemede, on Tuesday, August 11 from 8:15 to 10:15am. A funeral mass will follow at 11am at Holy Child Parish, St. Teresa Roman Catholic Church, Runnemede.

Interment will be private. Memorial donations may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis TN 38105.

Original news story (August 5, 2020) on Haddonfield[dot]Today: HERE.

A number of Haddonfield merchants, including Valente’s Cucina and Sweet T’s Bakeshop — both located in Kings Court — will be donating 20% of their proceeds on Thursday, August 13 to a fund to benefit the Maniscalco family. Check Haddondield[dot]Today on Wednesday and Thursday for a list of participating merchants.

Gracie’s owner seriously injured in fall

A GoFundMe campaign was launched today to provide financial assistance for the family of Anthony Maniscalco, co-owner with his wife Nancy of Gracie’s Water Ice & Ice Cream, in Kings Court.

The appeal states: “Anthony Maniscalco, husband of Nancy and owner of Gracie’s Ice Cream in Haddonfield fell down the stairs and has brain damage. He is currently on life support. We are raising money to support the family through this very difficult time.”

The campaign was set up by Marcello De Feo who owns and operates Valente’s Cucina, next to Gracie’s. Its goal is $5,000.

Just six hours after it was launched, the total stood at more than $1,800.

To contribute, go HERE.

Gov. Driscoll named to NJ Hall of Fame

The New Jersey Hall of Fame has announced that Alfred E. Driscoll of Haddonfield will be inducted as a member of the Class of 2019. He was New Jersey’s 43 rd governor – and first two-term governor – serving from 1948 to 1954.

A 1921 graduate of Haddonfield High School, Driscoll served as a member of the Haddonfield Board of Education, Board of Commissioners, and the Historical Society. He was one of six recipients in the inaugural class for the Haddonfield Alumni Society’s Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1994.

He spearheaded the adoption in 1947 of a new constitution for New Jersey that, among other things, ended racial segregation in the state’s public schools.

Alfred E. Driscoll died in 1975, at age 72, and was buried in the Haddonfield Baptist Cemetery. Descendants own and occupy homes on Hopkins Lane, including Birdwood, the white house on the bend, and elsewhere in town.

Hall of Fame inductions are normally held at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park. This year, the Hall will host a virtual, pre-recorded ceremony on TV, radio, and social media on Sunday, October 18.

The Class of 2019 will have 29 members, selected from 50 nominees (among them, Margaret Bancroft) including Oscar-winning actress Anne Hathaway, Giants quarterback Eli Manning, and Grammy-winning gospel singer Cissy Houston.

The Hall of Fame announced the list of the 2019 inductees today, on its Facebook page, HERE.

Each year, the Haddonfield Civic Association recognizes individuals or organizations that have made a lasting, positive impact on Haddonfield in a volunteer capacity, presenting them with the Alfred E. Driscoll Community Service Award.

Photo courtesy of John Giannotti.

Adult School rebrands

The Haddonfield Adult School announced today the formation of Haddonfield Community Education & Recreation.

Its goals are to meet the learning interests and needs of the residents of the Haddonfield area, specifically:.  

• Provide Haddonfield and neighboring communities with opportunities for learning and personal enrichment.
  • Offer a wide variety of courses and programs that appeal to learners of all ages.
  • Be the first choice for community learning in the Haddonfield area.
  • Meet the changing needs of the community.

Haddonfield Community Education & Recreation says it is “committed to maintaining our excellent program for our community residents,” and that it looks forward to “opening online in the fall.”

National honor for Haddonfield

USA Today conducted an online contest recently, inviting members of the public to vote for the Best Small Town Cultural Scenes in the United States.

Ten towns were included in the poll:

• Chautauqua, New York
  • El Dorado, Arkansas
  • Haddonfield, New Jersey
  • Nashville, Indiana
  • Occidental, California
  • Perham, Minnesota
  • Point Pleasant, West Virginia
  • Saratoga Springs, New York
  • Sheridan, Wyoming
  • Staunton, Virginia

When the votes were tallied, Chautauqua took top honors, with Haddonfield the runner-up.

In commenting on the award, Mayor Neal Rochford said, “We in Haddonfield pride ourselves in our one-of-a-kind Downtown experience with beautiful tree-lined streets and well-preserved historic buildings that now are home to over 200 businesses. We hope that this continued recognition will encourage those who haven’t experienced our historic town, to come and visit for the day when in the Delaware Valley area.”

A message from the Mayor

An Independence Day message from Mayor Neal Rochford

This upcoming 4th of July will be bittersweet for me.

The Haddonfield 4th of July celebrations are something I hold near and dear to my heart. For me, it’s the little things like watching families with small children heading up to the parade with their decorated bikes, seeing the chairs put out before the parade so that people can get a great view, and feeling the energy from the community groups lining up for the parade.

When I had the pleasure to lead the parade with my fellow commissioners, it fills me with pride in seeing children sitting on the curb with the American Flag. The shout-outs and the waves from familiar faces make my day! I’ve even been called out for slowing down the parade because of my tendency to try and say hello to everyone.

I’ve always enjoyed the neighborhood floats, no matter what the topic. Does anyone remember the Martha Stewart in jail float? Or the time Roberts Ave had everyone dress up as Mayor Tish Colombi? In the 2000 year I had gotten a group together and we did a theme of the Y2K bug that no one understood. We came in last place but still had a blast!

My hometown pride is overflowing with appreciation that I can live and serve in such a wonderful community. To me, there is nothing like a parade to remind us to celebrate our past and to show our patriotism. Together, it’s a time for our residents to celebrate our independence.

This year, because of the Covid-19 virus, many events have been canceled. While it’s hard to imagine no parade and fireworks this year, the committee’s decision to cancel is the right one in my opinion, due to the large crowds. The traditional activities will be back in the future and better than ever.

As the governor continues to open the state back up, I would like to thank everyone during this very stressful period for your teamwork and patience. Please continue to support the Haddonfield business district, as they have truly suffered during the lockdown

.Lastly, I thank the Celebrations Committee for their work and dedication to organizing the events for over 50 years. This group works all year to bring the best parade and firework display in South Jersey, and deserve our heartfelt gratitude.